Existing Market: At first I wasn't quite sure what might be next for my venture but I think I figured it out. Since I created a service that was all about bringing books to people for a low monthly cost we should expand into audio books, magazines, as well as DVDs to bring to people. In the interviews I conducted I explained my prior venture and everyone seemed thrilled about the idea. When explaining what I intend to do next they thought it would be a good idea but they also said that not many people rent DVDs any longer since streaming has become such a popular option. This made me think about how I could improve even more to bring my customers the best possible experience. One interviewee suggested we pair with a candle company to send a candle in each box because who doesn't love the smell of a candle while reading. This was an interesting idea that could be useful if we were to expand and partner with other companies.
New Market: My prior market included people of all ages not necessarily a single group of individuals. If I were to target a certain group it would be children in impoverished areas that don't have access to books. We would figure out a way to make the books even more affordable for low income families and partner with local schools in the area to bring books to all of the children in the surrounding area. This way we could change children's lives just by offering them books to read so that they might expand their vocabulary, increase their analytical thinking skills, improve memory, and reduce stress. These are just a few of the health benefits seen by reading a book. When conducting interviews with a few local schools it seems like this is something that would benefit a ton of children in low income neighborhoods for the better.
What surprised me the most was the new market and how important it is to give children the access to books while they are developing. Reading has so many health benefits that could change these kids lives just by picking up a book and reading for a little bit each day. An idea from the existing market that I found interesting was an interviewee suggested we add magazines to our subscription service. I thought that this would be something worth considering for the future.
Will,
ReplyDeleteI was in the same position of not knowing what to do next, but I think you did a great job of overcoming that.